Pregnancy cravings are inevitable and swapping salty chips to healthy dips can be a downer. What if you can wire them into cravings of the healthy kind? It’s going to be much healthier for both your baby and you, and who knows, it may even help reduce those midnight hunger pangs!
As you progress from trimester to trimester, prepare for your body to go through numerous aggravations – morning sickness, fatigue, and heartburn, just to name a few. The beauty of pregnancy is that your cravings are your best defence. Here’s what to expect and how you can make the most of each trimester.
Nausea, giddiness, heartburn, food cravings, and fatigue.
High fibre foods1, citrus foods, and healthy snacks.
Spicy foods, greasy foods, caffeine, and artificial sweeteners.
Your baby to fully develop organs, muscles, and nervous system.
High protein foods2and good fats.
Shortness of breath, frequent urination, and increase in appetite.
Folic acid3, calcium4, iron5, and vitamins6.
- Axe J. 20 Ultimate high fiber foods. Available at: https://draxe.com/high-fiber-foods/
- Diet during pregnancy: Healthy eating while pregnant. 2016. Available at: http://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-health/diet-during-pregnancy/
- 15 Foods high in folic acid. 2015. Available at: http://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-health/diet-during-pregnancy/
- Axe J. Top 10 calcium rich foods. Available at: https://draxe.com/top-10-calcium-rich-foods/
- Anemia and pregnancy. Available at: https://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/anemia_and_pregnancy/
- 25 Vitamin-rich foods you should be eating. Available at: http://www.rd.com/health/diet-weight-loss/25-vitaminrich-foods-you-should-be-eating/
- Do pregnant mums need to drink maternal milk?
- Expert Q&A What’s the difference between eating
- Guide to achieve and maintain a healthy weight during pregnancy
- How to eat better the natural way
- Make use of me time
- Nutrition to support a healthy baby
- Tips for second trimester babymoon
- True or False 4 pregnancy food myths exposed
- Why a low GI diet is good for mums-to-be